Monday, June 11, 2012

Essay: My thoughts after reading a Tweet from President Barack Obama


On May 24th 2012 at 12:38 PM, President Barack Obama (@BarackObama) tweeted “No one in America should ever be afraid to walk down the street holding hands with the person they love.”
            People get offended so easily and I’m not writing this with the intention to upset or insult anyone. My intention is to show the positive sides of one of the major arguments presented in this country and the world every day. In the United States we appoint people to governmental offices based on the side they take in this argument.
            I don’t tell people to believe in God. I only tell them that I do. That is my choice. I believe in Him without having proof of His existence because I have faith and that is what society has deemed to be the definition of faith. Faith is a tricky thing though, and I don’t judge others based on what their faith does (or does not) rest in. It’s not up to me to decide what anyone else believes. The one thing I can tell you about God though is that He didn’t write The Bible. The Bible was written by men thousands of years ago. It is a book that has been translated, evaluated, and rewritten for two millennia in many different languages around the world.
            Is this a reliable source for Republicans to cite in order to make an argument against who people choose to love and spend their lives with? If one were to claim that being homosexual goes against God, then that implies that one is assuming to know God’s plan. No one knows God’s plan any more than I do. How do they know that God didn’t choose to make people homosexual? And if He did, how do they know He didn’t do it to protect our world from becoming more overpopulated; or give homosexual couples, who can’t physically have a child together, adopt a baby into the stable and loving home he or she so desperately needs?
            There aren’t answers to these questions. I’m merely posing them to show that there are always infinite perspectives from which to look at issues. All one has to do is open his or her mind to various possibilities and evolve with an ever-changing world. The last thought I would like to leave you with is this: love shared between two people can never be a bad thing. And why would one want to discourage love in a world that is in such dire need of it? Thank you, President Obama for your bold and inspirational tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment